Thursday, October 29, 2009

Get Off Your Island

The poet John Donne said, “No man is an island.” While human contact is not yet completely unavoidable, it seems that more and more people are choosing to cut themselves off. Whether it is through technology or simply through the ignoring of others, people seem to be breaking off from the mainland and instituting their own islands of isolation. More and more, I see people forego a simple ‘hello’ in favor of walking past, eyes fixated on the ground. I think it’s time to go back to the not being an island way of things. Human interaction is an essential part of society. By interaction I do not mean facebook or texting or email. I mean face to face conversation, whether it’s just a few words or a full blown discussion. I know that even the simplest of greetings often makes my day a million times better. Saying hello does not have to be awkward or weird. So, please, the next time you pass someone on the sidewalk smile or say hello and observe how they react. Probably, they will smile back and go on to a better day.

-Nova Stakland

0 comments:

Post a Comment