Friday, November 13, 2009

Day of Awkwardness

Oh boy was today ever filled with awkwardness!

In all honesty I didn't feel well today so I didn't do my part to make things awkward, but of course that didn't prevent an awkward moment from happening. Of all places for this to happen, it happened in one of my most tiring classes. I sat all by myself in an empty row today, partly because I was being anti-social, and waited for someone to come sit by me. No longer than two seconds later a guy came and sat nice to me, right next to me. I expected that someone would at least give me a seat between us, being that there was an entire row of empty seats, but he sat right next to me and asked "how are you?" I replied "Fine. How are you doing in this class?" I watched as the guy searched for a response, obviously thrown back that I skipped the casual how are you and went straight into the nitty gritty of reality. He replied, after hesitating, "not well," and continued to tell me in depth of how he had been doing on assignments and tests.

While this wasn't a normal awkward situation like the scenarios that are discussed in previous posts, I still feel that it is important how awkward we can be if we skip past the casual and ask questions that mean something. I didn't do this on purpose, I was just grumpy, but I do think it is interesting that I was able to make a stranger become completely candid about grades to me by simply cutting through the simple.

Be sure to let us know your "Day of Awkwardness" experiences on our facebook group.

-Mitch

0 comments:

Post a Comment